Monday, January 10, 2011

Kalypso - The Diva Red Cap Oranda Goldfish

My fish is a Diva!

I'm not kidding either...

Let me tell you a story about what just happened in the past few days...

It has been an extremely busy week, and I didn't feel like cleaning out Kalypso's 10 gallon fish bowl. She has 2 filters with bubbles and a floaty fish toy that she loves snuggling and pushing around the bowl.

Kalypso has grown quite a bit in size since I got her in the spring. I'd say she's more than doubled in size. So, I got this new 10 gallon bowl just for her as an upgrade from her 5 gallon bowl. A big difference.

Now, when I didn't feel like cleaning out all of her home the other night, I brought out her 5 gallon bowl just for the night (I call it her condominium), so I could clean the 10 gallon in the morning. It was already late at night, mind you.

She had a pretty plant new glass beads at the bottom and fresh water, and she was sitting right next to my computer, so that she could see me!

The next morning, I sat down to check my email and do about 30 minutes of work. Kalypso was fine...Swimming around, happy to see me, etc.

However, I was sitting there no longer than 10 minutes, and all of a sudden, she turned upside down, floating, as if she were dead! No warning of distress, nothing visually wrong with her either.

Freaking out, I called my mother over who turned her right-side up, and moved her back and forth to keep her gills working, as an angler would returning a fish to water.

I rushed to clean up her 10 gallon bowl, fill it and replace her fish friend and filters, etc. It was a panic and a frenzy...

No sooner did we put her back into her large home with her bubbles from her filter, did she change her tune.

Seriously, it was as though she was boycotting, saying, "If I don't have my bubbles, I'll just die!"

I think she was depressed that I took away her huge home, her fish friend and most of all, her bubbles! She loves her bubbles.

Within 1 hour, she had perked up as though nothing ever happened. She's lucky we're so diligent and I love her so much - she's a special fish - because anyone else would have flushed her...She wasn't moving and upside-down.

Boy, did she show me!!! Don't move your fish into a condominium from a huge mansion, especially if there are no BUBBLES involved! They might just die!

How melodramatic!

by Kimberly Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment