Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Halloween Hype: Do You Dig It?

Halloween, for some of us, means the beginning of the two and a half month Holiday sugar binge!

For me, my discipline stops dead about two weeks before Halloween when I figure I will buy a bag of candy to "be prepared." It has to be the "cool" candies...which are some of the ones I like the best. I do the same thing every year. It's a pattern I have formed. And I can guarantee it won't be there come Halloween evening! It's in my belly instead. Have to test them out for the children, you know!

So on Halloween I run out and buy extra stash. And the leftovers? Where do you think they land? Hint: can't waste any.

The saddest part of this sugar binge: it keeps right on going...right through Xmas. And I am so embarrassed that I can't control it. And while my husband never says a word....I can just imagine what he is thinking as he watches the effects it has on me: The mood swings, the weight gain, the run down feeling and worst of all the constant need for more! My energy seems to walk right out the door. This cycle will last until just after New Years' Eve when I make my promises to get off the sweets.

I know that I am not alone. Last year, $1.89 billion dollars was spent on Halloween candy. ( I only spend about $20, I swear!)

While that temporary sugar high may not kill you instantly, it does do serious damage to our hearts and for adult onset diabetes. As I am writing this article, I am thinking that I would save money and my health if I just went away for 3 weeks to a health spa! OK OK...not realistic for me either!

So what can I do different to help myself and what can I do to help those kids so they do not have to develop the same problem with sugar that I have?

I think we should "think outside the candy wrapper"...and come up with ways to celebrate and have fun...but not with candy!

Here are a few giveaways that will help you:

1. Go to Oriental Trading and purchase some small great toys like bubbles, balls, tops, games, balloons, and the list goes on. 2. The dollar store oftentimes has some great little giveaways..any sort of toy. 3. Pre-sealed little packs of apples 4. Pretzels packs 5. Change - pennies or nickels 6. A small package that includes a balloon or two and direction on how to conduct an easy experiment with the balloon..I have done this one...and it went over really well.

If you have children at home, having a party with some great snacks is a wonderful plan. Have some spooky games planned so the kids are active and moving! Have them practice and give a play, learn how to tell jokes, recite a poem, tell their favorite story.....

Or, a few parents can get together and "divide and conquer" together. You can surf the we for some special, spooky, yummy recipes other families have created. You can also go to http://getthegoodness.com for some amazing snack recipes that can be customized for just about any holiday.

Halloween doesn't have to be the beginning of the sugar season anymore.. It can still be fun and eventful without doing damage.

Remember, if it is not pre-packed, do not give hand it out. It will most likely be thrown out...by the parents. Have a safe and spooky Halloween!

To Your Health!!!

Gretchen Jack, CrushSugarCravings.com

No comments:

Post a Comment